Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Facade of Friendship

Can a man and a woman be friends without any sexual tension??? This profound question was examined in one of my favorite movies starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan "When Harry Met Sally". I believe it is a very relavant question especially in marriage. I'm not talking about aquaintances I'm talking about friendship which commands a higher level of intimacy. Can a married man or woman have a close relationship with someone of the opposite sex that is not their spouse. I say no, not because it is not possible but because you put yourself in a very tough situation. I am a firm believer that your spouse should be your best friend. Your spouse should be the person that knows everything about you. They should be the first one you want to call when something great happens or even when something bad happens. If this is not the case in your relationship than you really need to take a hard look at your relationship and take the steps necessary to remedy this problem, and it is a problem. Don't get caught up in the facade of friendship because it will lie to you. It will tell you that "this person understands me more than my wife or my husband never listens to me". These are lies and need to be seen as such. The grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence but that is not the case. Marriages take work, no one said it would be easy. It takes sweat and tears to see it through to the end. If you take it one day at a time and focus on the one with whom you made your vows than you can complete the journey that you set out to complete when you said "I DO!!!"

No comments: